Structuration Theory

Safety Rest Areas and Welcome Centers in Virginia (VDOT)

My daily routine involves getting up at 5:30 in the morning, taking my partner to his job (school bus driver) at 6:30, and then driving down I-81 and I-64 from Harrisonburg to  my job as a first grade teacher in Waynesboro. At 7:30, the kids start rolling in, and at 2:35 they go home; I typically stay after for about an hour, and at 3:30 I drive back to Harrisonburg, pick up my partner from work, then go home. 

After working several really horrible jobs, I consider teaching to be very freeing and enjoyable. However, this is just psychological, an effect of being surrounded by really great people and having two wonderful principals as my bosses - because in reality, my job is actually very closely regulated. While I do get some choice in what I do - what books to read to the kids, what movies to show them, what worksheets and activities to do - the content and amount of time I spend on that content is very rigid. Regulations and standards regarding content and allocated time are set forth by the Virginia Department of Education and by the Waynesboro School Board. 

Many norms also constrain how I conduct myself at school. For instance, there are many things I do not talk about in my capacity as a teacher, or that I only discuss with certain students. Many of my students are fascinated by science and biology, but I only discuss evolution beyond a surface level with select students because of the high degree of religiosity in this community. For example, one student - I will call him Jack - is very interested in every aspect of science, and has a very big imagination. He once asked me if mermaids might be real, and since I knew his family had a deep respect for science, I talked to him about evolution and a fringe theory called Aquatic Ape Theory, and I encouraged him to research the theory with his father at home. He was fascinated, as was his father (he thought Aquatic Ape Theory was hysterical), and Jack came in the next day begging to know more. However, he wanted me to share my knowledge with the rest of the class, since he is a very shy boy; not wanting to squash his interest, I decided to share with them his discoveries. But since I have several students for whom their parents would not be appreciative of such topics, I approached it from an angle of, "some people believe in creation, other people such as scientists, believe in evolution. Evolution is..." 

There are two norms regulating discussion of this topic; community attitudes towards science, in addition to the norm among educators of avoiding flak form overbearing parents. It might seem silly, but a lot of us do indeed feel this way - I feel this way more than a lot of my colleagues as an LGBT man in this community. Teachers from the LGBT community are very heavily scrutinized, regardless of if the topic at hand even has to do with gender or sexuality!

Aquatic Ape Theory (The Aquatic Ape)


References

Aquatic Ape Theory Diagram. (n.d.). The Aquatic Ape. Retrieved from https://theaquaticape.org/human-evolution/aat/.

Safety Rest Areas and Welcome Centers in Virginia. (n.d.). Virginia Department of Transportation. Retrieved from https://www.virginiadot.org/travel/map-rest-area.asp.

Standards of Learning. Virginia Department of Education. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/index.shtml

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shrinking Borders of Palestine

Guantánamo Bay Naval Base

Women's Role in the Military